Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Creating an Arboreal Snake Habitat a.k.a. Python Den!

Never a dull moment around the ole museum!
Last week we donated our very shy Cuban Knight Anole (pictured below) to Moody Gardens, in hopes that it is a male and will mate with Moody's female Anoles.
He was not thrilled by the move and decided to give me a little something to remember him by (a lovely little scar on my thumb).
Today I began cleaning out his exhibit and preparing it for it's new inhabitants, two juvenile green tree pythons. (unfortunately I hear they're a bit bitey as well) However, I don't intend to handle them much.

So what goes into building a python den?
Well these pythons are arboreal, meaning they spend the majority of their lives coiled up on branches in the trees, so I first need to make sure I have plenty of branches for them to coil up on.
(branches: check)
Now it's time to spruce it up a bit! You could use fake plants, but as a horticulturist that goes against everything I stand for.
Side note: When choosing plants for a habitat like this one the thicker the leaf the better. These plants will get very little direct sun light and may get a little stressed so The thicker the leaf the long it will take those stresses to show up. As an ex-bromeliad grower, bromeliads are a personal favorite of mine, but other plants labeled as low light or houseplants will work as well!
(plants: check)

This is as far as I have gotten today, I will update tomorrow with proper lighting, temp., and diet requirements as I get them installed.

Happy Herpatology?

No comments:

Post a Comment